Melbourne Stars: Australian professional men's T20 franchise
Melbourne Stars is the second team in the BBL list, representing the city of the same name. The main home ground is the Melbourne Cricket Ground, with a capacity of more than 100,000 people, and the auxiliary one is Metricon Stadium. The color of the form is green.
Melbourne Stars: history
The starting season of 2011-2012 was quite successful for the Melburnians: having finished the draw on the fourth line of the standings, they made it to the semifinals. The following year, Shane Warne became the captain of the team, replacing Cameron White in this position; in addition, the Melbourne team invited several key players, including Briton Dimitri Mascarenhas and Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka).
Having improved the previous season’s performance, the Melburnians will soon replenish the squad again by signing Kevin Pietersen. According to the results of the draw, team representative John Hastings ranks first in the league in the number of wickets taken (16).
It took Melbourne four seasons to break through to the league finals finally, but the owners of the coveted trophy were the Sydney Thunder. In 2017, the team captain was changed again: John Hastings took the place of David Hussey, who led the Melbourne team for two seasons. Unfortunately, this particular draw turned out to be the least successful in the history of Melbourne, which not only did not reach the decisive stage of the tournament, but also took the last place in the table. This forced the management to think about updating the squad, and as a result, Dwayne Bravo, Sandeep Lamichhane and Liam Plunkett joined the ranks of the team.
As a result, Melbourne took high places for two years in a row, reaching the finals (for the first time, the team lost to the principal rivals Melbourne Renegades, for the second time – Sydney Sixers).
Melbourne Stars: players
The current captain of the Melbourne Stars is all-rounder Glenn Maxwell, who has been in charge of the Melbourne Stars since 2018. The following players stand out in the current squad:
- Marcus Stoinis who managed to make a name for himself in the Indian Premier League. In the 2019-2020 season, he ranked first in the list of league batsmen with a record of 705 runs;
- Nicholas Pooran, a native of Trinidad and Tobago. He is considered one of the most promising batsmen of the team;
- Jonny Bairstow, hereditary wicket-keeper from England, who played in parallel for Sunrisers Hyderabad;
- Adam Zampa, a native of New South Wales and one of the team’s best bowlers.
Melbourne Stars: statistics
Even though the Melbourne Stars have not yet won the main league trophy, they hold fourth place in the list of teams with the highest number of victories in the BBL (52.27%).
|Place in the League||Final position||Season (years)|
|4||Reached the semifinals||2011-2012|
|3||Reached the semifinals||2012-2013|
|1||Reached the semifinals||2013-2014|
|3||Reached the semifinals||2014-2015|
|2||Reached the final||2015-2016|
|4||Reached the semifinals||2016-2017|
|8||Did not make it to the semifinals||2017-2018|
|4||Reached the final||2018-2019|
|1||Reached the final||2019-2020|
|7||Did not make it to the semifinals||2020-2021|
Melbourne Stars: recors holders
Melbourne Stars players have repeatedly set BBL season records. As for the team statistics:
- The maximum number of runs recorded by Marcus Stoinis – 173;
- Stoinis and Hilton Cartwright were recognized as the best pair of batsmen, who made 207 runs for two in the match against the Sydney Sixers on January 12, 2020;
- Adam Zampa took the most wickets (53).