Adelaide Strikers: competitions
Adelaide Strikers: Twenty20 Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years Big Bash League 1 2017–18
Adelaide Strikers: Current SquadColin de Grandhomme All-rounder
Adelaide Strikers: Australian professional men's T20 franchise
The Adelaide Strikers are a professional T20 cricket team from Australia that competes in the BBL league. The main venue is Adelaide Oval. The color of the form is cornflower blue.
The team’s predecessor is the Southern Redbacks, whose history dates back more than one and a half hundred years. After the league reform in 2011, a new set of players was announced in Adelaide: for a month, each club had the right to sign 18 athletes, including two foreigners. The first coach was former Southern Redbacks coach Darren Berry, and the debut squad was headed by South African Michael Klinger.
A curious innovation of the 2013-2014 season was the so-called New Year’s Match, which is held annually on December 31. The league’s initiative quickly found support from fans who willingly bought tickets. Interestingly, until the 2018-2019 season, Adelaide did not lose a single New Year’s match. The fight against the Sydney Sixers, which fell on the third season, is still considered exemplary: it was then that Travis Head recorded a hundred runs. Only Sydney Thunder managed to break the team’s winning streak in the 2019-2020 season.
In the 2016-2017 season, Adelaide was recognized as the most spectacular team in the league. A year later, they won the main BBL trophy.
Adelaide Strikers: players
The current captain of the Adelaide Strikers is a local native, Travis Head, who made his debut for the national team in first-class matches at the age of 18.
Performances for the Adelaide team and the Australian national team combine:
- Batsman Matt Renshaw, who was born in Middlesbrough, England, and moved with his family to Australia at the age of 10;
- All-rounder Michael Neser is a native of South Africa who has lived in Australia since childhood. He made his debut for the national team in 2018;
- Wicketkeeper Alex Carey, who also tried his hand at Australian football in the past but made the final choice in favor of cricket in 2013;
- Bowlers Daniel Worrall (also played for Gloucestershire in the English County Championship) and Peter Siddle (received an invitation to the national team in 2018).
In different years, guest stars from abroad have performed for Adelaide – James Franklin (New Zealand), Alex Hales (Great Britain), Rashid Khan (Afghanistan).
Adelaide Strikers: statistics
Adelaide Strikers twice took first place in the standings at the end of the season, but both times lost in the semifinals. The least successful seasons for the team were 2013-2014 and 2018-2019 (seventh place in the final table).
|League place||Final position||Season (years)|
|6||Did not qualify||2011-2012|
|5||Did not qualify||2012-2013|
|7||Did not qualify||2013-2014|
|1||Semifinal (lost to Sydney Sixers)||2014-2015|
|1||Semifinal (lost to Sydney Thunder)||2015-2016|
|6||Did not qualify||2016-2017|
|7||Did not qualify||2018-2019|
|3||Eliminated at the Knock-Out Stage, losing to Sydney Thunder||2019-2020|
|5||Eliminated at the Eliminator stage, losing to Sydney Thunder||2020-2021|
Adelaide Strikers: record holders
Over the years of the BBL, the Adelaide Strikers have shown the most convincing results in matches against the Melbourne Renegades (66.6% of wins) and Hobart Hurricanes (60% of wins).
- The maximum number of runs recorded by Travis Head (1051 in 38 matches);
- The most effective combination of batsmen are Alex Carey and Jake Weatherald;
- The highest number of wickets on account of bowler Ben Laughlin (60 in 50 matches);
- Ish Sodhi is recognized as the most effective bowler (6 wickets for 11 runs).