Matabeleland Tuskers: competitions
Matabeleland Tuskers: First-Class Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years Logan Cup 2 2010–11, 2011–12
Matabeleland Tuskers: Limited Overs Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years Pro50 Championship 1 2016–17
Matabeleland Tuskers: Current SquadSean Williams All-rounder
Matabeleland Tuskers: about the Zimbabwe cricket team
The Matabeleland Tuskers are a regional team from Zimbabwe that was created following the reorganization of the cricket system. Let’s tell you more about this team, its victories, history and players.
Creation of the Matabeleland Tuskers team
The history of this team goes back a little over a decade. It was created in 2009 when the system of cricket teams in Zimbabwe was reorganized. The reason for the reorganization was the crisis, in which the entire cricket system of the country found itself since 2003.
The entire regional cricket system has been reduced to the competition of five regional franchises Since 2009, as recommended by the ICC. At the same time, the teams of each region became more autonomous. They could dispose of the available funds at their discretion, hire players and make other important decisions regarding the game.
At first, the career of the newly minted Matabeleland Tuskers did not work out: they finished fourth out of five in the first Logan Cup, could not qualify for the final in the Twenty20 tournament. Things went smoothly already in the next season: the Matabeleland Tuskers played in the final of the Logan Cup and won their first title. They did not concede it the next year and the next after him. So they became the first team in Zimbabwe after the reorganization to boast a winning streak in this tournament.
Team Facts and Major Achievements
- The Matabeleland Tuskers played their first first-class match in 2009-10 against the Mid West Rhinos. The venue was the Kwekwe Sports Club stadium.
- The team’s home arena is the Queens Sports Club. It is located in the city of Bulawayo and can accommodate up to 13,000 spectators.
- Team captain for List A and Twenty20 matches is Ainsley Ndlovu, team captain for First Class matches is John Nyumbu.
- To date, the Matabeleland Tuskers have won four Logan Cup titles, one Pro50 Championship and one Domestic Twenty20 title.
- This team once became the silver medalist of the Logan Cup (2015 – 2016) and three times – in the Pro50 Championship (2012 – 2013, 2014 – 2015, 2018 – 2019).
|Championship name||Number of titles||Years in which titles were won|
|Logan Cup||4||2010-2011, 2011 – 2012, 2012 – 2013|
|Pro50 Championship||1||2016 – 2017|
|Domestic Twenty20||1||2018 – 2019|
Matabeleland Tuskers team line-up
At the moment, the following players enter the field as part of the team:
- In the position of the batsman: Brian Chari, Sikandar Raza, Craig Ervine, Bright Phiri, Charles Kunje, Nkosana Mpofu.
- All-rounder: Milton Shumba, Sean Williams, Thamsanqa Keith Nunu.
- As wicket-keepers: Ryan Murray, Cunningham Ncube, Shoun Handirisi, Taffy Mupariwa.
- Spin Bowlers: John Nyumbu, Ainsley Ndlovu.
- In the position of Pace Bowlers: Luke Jongwe, Chris Mpofu, Steve Chimhamhiwa, Ernest Masuku, Sheunopa Musekwa, Thabo Mboyi.