Aiden Markram – a promising batsman from South Africa
Aiden Markram is a former captain of the South African national cricket team in the U-19 category, under whose leadership the team won the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup in 2014. Currently, he represents the South African national team at international tournaments such as Tests, One Day International and Twenty20 International. The athlete plays in the position of a right-handed batsman.
Aiden Markram: how his professional career developed
Aiden Markram was born on October 4, 1994, in Centurion, Gauteng – South Africa. In 2013, Markram entered the Tuks Cricket Academy. A year later, in 2014, he made his debut in First-class cricket for the Northerns cricket team.
The young man showed outstanding results in matches, for which he was invited to the South African national cricket team in the U-19 category. There he quickly established himself and soon was appointed captain of the team.
Aiden Markram made his debut at international tournaments quite late – at the age of 23. The fact is that Aiden suffered several injuries, which took some time to recover. On September 28, 2017, the player played for the first time in Tests against the national team from Bangladesh. A month later, he made his One Day International debut again against Bangladesh.
On March 22, 2019, Aiden Markram made his first appearance at the Twenty20 International. His opponent was a team from Sri Lanka.
Professional achievements of Aiden Markram:
- In 2014, he led the South African national cricket team, which won the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup. Thus, Markram became the first South African captain of the South African national team to win the World Cup.
- In 2017, he became the first South African cricketer to score two Test centuries in his first three Test matches. Aiden was also awarded the Domestic Newcomer Award.
- In 2018, he became the second young player to hold the position of captain of the South African national team at One Day International tournaments. He also received the title of Player of the year according to the South African Cricket Annual.
Teams that Aiden Markram played for:
- Northerns U-19, South Africa U-19, South Africa A, South Africa, Northerns, Titans.
In domestic tournaments and for the South African national team in international cricket competitions, Aiden Markram plays under number 4.
Aiden Markram: personal life, interesting facts
Aiden Markram was born into a Christian family. He has a sister. The boy grew up very athletic: from the age of two, he began to learn to play cricket. He was also actively involved in football and wanted to become a football player in the future. However, Aiden continued to practice cricket at a more professional level at school, and football took a back seat.
The player received his secondary education at Pretoria Boys High School, then entered Cornwall Hill College, and then the University of Pretoria.
Aiden Markram is not married but has been dating his girlfriend, Nicole Danielle O’Connor, for almost ten years. The girl regularly supports the athlete with her presence at matches.
Interesting facts about Aiden Markram:
- His full name is Aiden Kyle Markram.
- Game nicknames – Markram, Pup.
- In his free time, he likes to play football and swim.
- The player who inspires him is the batsman AB de Villiers.
- The athlete’s wealth is estimated at about two million US dollars.
The Instagram page, which Aiden Markram has under the nickname @aidenmarkram, is followed by almost 45 thousand people. The player shares mostly photos from his personal life. In many photos, he poses with his girlfriend.