Colts Cricket Club
Colts Cricket Club: competitions
Colts Cricket Club: First-Class Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years Premier Trophy 5 1999–00, 2001–02, 2004–05, 2008–09, 2011–12
Colts Cricket Club: Limited Overs Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years
Colts Cricket Club: Twenty20 Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years
Colts Cricket Club: professional team from Sri Lanka
Colts Cricket Club (Colombo Colts Cricket Club) is Colombo’s first-class cricket representative in Sri Lanka. The team has a lot of merit on its account: six titles in the domestic league, The Premier Trophy. However, the last one was won already in 2012. Nevertheless, we invite you to get to know the team better to find out its history of formation.
Colts Cricket Club: the history of the cricket team
Colts Cricket Club was founded on August 26th in 1873 by uniting several youth clubs from the Pettah and Small Pass areas of Colombo. It was the first Ceylon cricket club in Sri Lanka, so it was from him that the promotion and popularization of cricket in the country began. Wilfred van Twest became the first president of the club.
The original team consisted of the following players:
- Brothers Charles, Edward, Horace and Edgar de Kretser, Wilfred and Justin de Zilwa, Harry Dabrera, Oliver Raffel, Gerald van Houten, A. B. Claessen, Vincent Vandort, F. J. Lemphers, Edward Ohlmus, J. H. Franciscus, Walter and Reggie Garvin.
By the way, the club was originally called the Marylebone Cricket Club. However, one of the potential sponsors of the team made a condition to the management that he would be able to provide financial assistance only if the name of the team was changed. He had some of his fundamental thoughts on this, connected with the history of Sri Lanka and England. Soon a new name was approved for the club – the Colts C.S., which, as a result, satisfied all parties.
By 1885, there were two main cricket clubs in Colombo – the Colts C.S. and the Victoria C.C. However, a third team was soon formed, which included players dissatisfied with the situation in the Colts C.C. and Victoria C.C. Ultimately, all three teams were unable to compete with each other, as none of them had enough players to play. After a short debate, it was decided to merge all three clubs into one and give it the name Colombo Colts Cricket Club.
More than 30 years have passed since then, and the team successfully developed and won many trophies. There was also a female team based on the Colts Cricket Club, and an academy for young talents was created.
Colts Cricket Club: Major Achievements
The first significant achievement for the Colts Cricket Club was the P Saravanamuttu Trophy won in 1992. Earlier, this was the name of the current Premier Trophy – the main first-class cricket competition in Sri Lanka. Eight years later, the team was victorious again in the definitively renamed Premier Trophy tournament. So over ten years, the Colts Cricket Club was able to earn four more trophies: in 2002, 2005, 2009 and 2012.
It is also important to mention the team. The Colts Cricket Club has been home to many celebrity cricketers, some of whom started out with this team:
- the Chaminda Vaas (01/27/1974) was an outstanding cricketer who played as a fast bowler. He holds the record for performance in the history of the One-Day-International tournament.
- the Romesh Kaluwitharana (11/24/1969) – Former wicket-keeper batsman who won the 1996 Cricket World Cup.
- the Angelo Mathews (2.06.1987) – held the batting all-rounder position in the team. He was the captain of Sri Lanka in all international cricket formats, won the ICC World Twenty20 in 2014.
- the Nuwan Kulasekara (08.22.1982) – played as a bowler. Recognized as one of the best cricketers in the world. In 2009, he was ranked first in the One-Day-International ranking.
- the Eric Upashantha (06/10/1972) – played on the field as a batsman. His only team in his career was the Colts Cricket Club, for which he played for 13 years.
- the Chaminda Mendis (28.12.1968) – played in the team as a bowler throughout his career.
- the Roy Dias (18.10.1952) – played as a batsman in the team for 16 years. The Colts Cricket Club was the only club in his professional career.
All of these players have contributed significantly to the success of the cricket arena.
Colts Cricket Club: current squad line-up
We invite you to familiarize yourself with the current composition of the Colts Cricket Club, which has 15 athletes:
- Batsmen (5): Avishka Fernando (28), Priyamal Perera (49), Hashan Dumindu (43), Sangeeth Cooray (69), Santhush Gunathilake (14).
- All-rounders (4): Dilruwan Perera (47), Dhananjaya Lakshan (17), Jehan Daniel (73), Nalin Priyadarshana.
- Wicket-keepers (2): Sadeera Samarawickrama (23), Kusal Perera (55).
- Bowlers (4): Akila Dananjaya (4), Nipun Ransika, Mahesh Theekshana, Nipun Malinga (77).
Team captain – Sadeera Samarawickrama.
At international competitions, the Sri Lanka national cricket team is represented by Avishka Fernando, Priyamal Perera, Dilruwan Perera, Sadeera Samarawickrama, Akila Dananjaya.
Colts Cricket Club: stadium, uniform, logo, website
The Colts Cricket Club plays at the eponymous Colts Cricket Club Ground, located on Park Road in Havelock Town in Colombo. It was built in 1873, and the stadium has a capacity of 10 thousand spectators.
Colts Cricket Club has an unusual official logo. It is executed in blue-violet and gold colors. At the top of the emblem is a horse’s head with a magnificent mane, and below are crossed cricket bats and a ball. Even below is the date of the foundation of the club and its full name.
Players wear dark uniforms with yellow inserts along the sleeve line during cricket competitions.
The Colts Cricket Club, like many other cricket teams, has an official website. True, it has stopped updating since 2020 for some unknown reason. However, you can find a lot of useful information there:
- History of the club: how the team was born, who stood at its origins, a list of the most famous players who ever played for the Colts Cricket Club.
- News archive: you can see news reports about the team, read interviews here.
- Information about the Academy at the club: you may want your child to start playing cricket professionally, so you can find out absolutely everything related to admission to the Colts Cricket Club Academy in this section.
- Pro Club Membership: You can become a Colombo Colts CC member to be able to attend all the team’s matches for free, as well as get priority access to club-related events. Here you can find information on how to register your membership properly.
- Gallery: Here you will plunge into the club’s history with the help of photographs and find out what the first Colts Cricket Club squads looked like.
Colts Cricket Club is also represented in popular social networks, but no one has been involved in them for a long time. For example, on Facebook, a little more than 1,500 people have subscribed to the team’s page, and the last posts are dated 2020. It’s even worse on the Twitter platform, with the last tweet posted in 2014.