Singhalese Sports Club
Singhalese Sports Club: competitions
Singhalese Sports Club: First-Class Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years Premier Trophy 32 1938–39, 1939–40, 1943–44, 1944–45, 1946–47, 1947–48, 1948–49, 1949–50, 1951–52, 1958–59, 1959–60, 1961–62, 1966–67, 1968–69, 1971–72, 1972–73, 1973–74, 1974–75, 1977–78, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1986–87, 1988–89, 1989–90, 1990–91, 1992–93, 1994–95, 1997–98, 2005–06, 2007–08, 2012–13, 2016–17
Singhalese Sports Club: Limited Overs Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years
Singhalese Sports Club: Twenty20 Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years
Singhalese Sports Club: Sri Lanka Cricket Team Review
Cricket is the most popular sports game in Sri Lanka. It has been played there for over a hundred years, and during this time, cricket has developed significantly. If there were not many professional players and teams in the country earlier, their number has increased significantly now. So, one of the most famous and strongest cricket teams in the country is the Singhalese Sports Club from Colombo. Since 2008, the president of the club has been W.T. Ellawala.
The team’s home stadium is the Singhalese Sports Club Cricket Ground. The venue can accommodate up to 10,000 spectators. The stadium was built in 1952. Interestingly, the Allied forces used the site where the place was created during the Second World War as an airfield.
Of course, a review should also be made of the Singhalese Sports Club branding. It is uncomplicated but bright, colorful and recognizable. The stylized shield depicts a lion holding a sword. Above all this image is a crown, and at the very bottom is the year of foundation. The club’s trademark color is white.
Singhalese Sports Club: history and highlights
The Singhalese Sports Club was founded on March 27, 1899. This cricket club was founded by a group of prominent lawyers, businessmen, civil society leaders, and other influential people.
In 1900, the newly-minted club rented land in Victoria Park, gradually turned into a cricket ground, where the team played their debut match in 1901.
The first president of the club was Harry Dias Bandaranaike, and the secretary was H.J.V.I. Ekanayake, captain – O.G. de Alwis. Since then, the leadership and composition of the team have constantly changed, but the level of play remained high, as evidenced by the numerous championship titles of the Singhalese Sports Club.
Singhalese Sports Club: Site and Social Media Review
SSC has its official website, which contains all the relevant information about the club. It is made quite beautifully, informative and understandable.
What can be found on the official Singhalese Sports Club website? Let’s briefly tell you:
- History of the club. In our review, we only briefly touched on the history of the founding of SSC, but you can read all the details on the official website, which are accompanied by archival photographs.
- Club news. And – not only the cricket team but the club as a whole. The freshest and most relevant information about the organization is only on the official website.
- Souvenirs. Do you support the SSC in the Premier Trophy? You can support the team by buying branded products.
- Detailed information about the club and the team. The current composition, various statistical data, and contacts for communication will provide users with open information.
The Singhalese Sports Club does not have its page on the social network Instagram, but many pictures are located by geolocation. The club also has a Twitter account, to which less than a hundred people are subscribed, although the page is periodically updated. In addition, it is unclear whether this is an official account or not since there is no verification checkmark.
Singhalese Sports Club: Current Membership List and Achievements
The main thing in any sports team is the athletes. Without them, well-trained, you can not dream of any titles. Therefore, the management of the clubs is constantly looking for new talents and pumping old ones. The Singhalese Sports Club is a team with one of the strongest collectives in the country. Here are the members of this cricket club as of 2021:
- Batsmen: Dimuth Karunaratne, Shammu Ashan, Kavindu Kulasekara, Pasindu Sooriyabandara, Nuwanidu Fernando.
- Bowlers: Dhammika Prasad, Nuwan Pradeep, Himesh Ramanayake, Kalana Perera, Kushan Weerakkody, Jeffrey Vandersay, Akash Senaratne, Tharindu Rathnayake.
- All-rounders: Dasun Shanaka, Sachithra Senanayake (captain), Danushka Gunathilaka, Charith Asalanka.
- Wicket-keepers: Sandun Weerakkody, Krishan Sanjula.
At the time of writing, the team’s coach is Avishka Gunawardene, a former professional cricketer from Sri Lanka.
The Singhalese Sports Club is the most titled team from Sri Lanka, and it is unlikely that anyone will overtake them in terms of performance. Just think: during the existence of the domestic first-class cricket tournament in the country, this team was able to win the championship title 32 times (for the first time – in the 1938-1939 season, the last time – 2016-2017). And it will definitely not stop there.