Border cricket team
Border cricket team: competitions
Border cricket team: First-Class Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years 4-Day Domestic Series 0
Border cricket team: Limited Overs Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years
Border cricket team: Twenty20 Cricket CompetitionsLogo Tournament Wins Years
Border cricket team: professional club from South Africa
Regional cricket in South Africa has a rather complex structure: now all teams are divided into the Franchise cricket and the CSA Provincial Competitions. The Border cricket team belongs to the second group. Let’s talk about her achievements, defeats and victories in more detail.
Brief information about the Border cricket team
The existing system of division of teams into two groups has existed since 2004. Sixteen semi-professional teams compete with each other in CSA Provincial Competitions(as opposed to the professional league, where 6 teams compete). Competitions include the first class, List A and T20 cricket championships. The teams that participate in these competitions are a springboard for the players to get into the big league – one of the franchise teams.
Border cricket team has the following features:
- This command represents the Border region located in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa.
- The team plays home matches at Buffalo Park Stadium, located in East London. The stadium seats up to 20,000 fans and has been the home of Border since the 1987-88 season. In addition, franchise team the Warriors play home games here.
- The team began its cricket career in 1897 and is currently one of the weakest.
- The team played its first first-class match in the 1987-88 season and during its existence managed to play more than 600 matches, a small number of which ended in victory. At the end of the 2017-18 season, Border had played 584 matches, of which won 173, drew 169 and lost 241.
- In addition, this team is the author of an anti-record in South African cricket: in one of the matches for the Currie Cup in the 1959-60 season, where the Border was opposed by the team Natal. The Border won just 34 runs in the match, 16 in the first innings and 18 – in the second.
Border cricket team achievements
|Championship name||Number of titles||Seasons when titles were won|
|CSA 3-Day Cup Title (First class)||0||–|
|CSA One-Day Cup Title||2||2013-14, 2014-15|
|CSA Provincial T20 Cup Title||0||–|
The team’s best result in the CSA 3-Day Cup Title is reaching the final in the 2004-05 season. The Border has never finished second or third in the CSA One-Day Cup Title and never climbed above 5th in the CSA Provincial T20 Cup Title.
The second place in the Africa T20 Cup2018 tournament is also one of the team’s significant achievements.
Despite the modest results, the Border cricket team also has one impressive record: Marco Marais earned 300 runs in 191 serves (300 not out of 191 deliveries) in November 2017, playing for the Border cricket team in the Sunfoil 3-Day Cup. This is the fastest result in top-notch cricket and is also the ninth time a South African player has earned three hundred.
The flip side of this achievement is an anti-record: the team scored only 16 runs during the CSA 3-Day Provincial Cup match in the second innings in the 2020-21 season – this was the lowest result for a first-class team in South Africa.
Border cricket team composition and the team’s future
The team for April 2022 includes the following players:
- Marco Marais
- Sean Jamison
- Phaphama Fojela
- Mncedisi Malika
- Thomas Kaber
- Jason Niemand
- Gideon Peters
- Nonelela Yikha
- Joshua van Heerden
- Jerry Nqolo
- Clayton Bosch
At the same time, the team, like the entire South African cricket system, will face changes soon: the number of teams will be reduced to 15 in the 2021-2022 season, and they will be divided into two divisions with the possibility of raising and lowering the team between them.